The Law Firm 
Where Families Come First

Florida courts can order electronic communication with children

On Behalf of | Oct 24, 2019 | Child Custody & Co-parenting |

The outcome of a child custody dispute can reshape your relationship with your child. If a court determines that one parent should have sole physical custody of the child with limited visitation with the noncustodial parent, then that noncustodial parent may struggle to maintain and build the bond between him or herself and his or her child. This is why Florida parents need to be prepared with strong legal arguments when dealing with these matters.

There may be other ways to ensure contact with your child, though. Under Florida law, a legal presumption exists indicating that reasonable phone contact between a child and his or her parents is in the child’s best interests. This presumption can be rebutted, of course, if adequate evidence is submitted to the court showing why phone contact is unreasonable or not in the child’s best interests.

Other forms of electronic communication can be sought, too. Before a court will order electronic communication, it will take a number of factors into consideration. Amongst them are whether such contact is in the child’s best interests, whether the equipment needed for such communication is reasonably available and affordable, any history of substance abuse and domestic violence, and any other factor deemed relevant by the court. This last part is a catch all that allows the court to hear evidence pertaining to just about any issue it feels may have an impact on the appropriateness of electronic communication. It is important to note that this electronic communication, if ordered by the court, is in addition to any face-to-face contact ordered by the court. In other words, a custodial parent cannot claim that a Skype session satisfies a weekday visitation.

Child custody and visitation issues can be highly confrontational, and for good reason. Therefore, to ensure that you are making the best arguments possible to present your position and protect your relationship with your child, you may want to consider seeking out legal assistance.

Contact The Marin Law Firm, P.A.

Contact our family law attorney online or call us at