The Law Firm 
Where Families Come First

Am I Obligated To Pay Spousal Support To My Immigrant Spouse?

If you divorced your immigrant spouse, you may have signed the USCIS Form I-864, the Affidavit of Support. If you sign this document, you are obligated to provide annual financial support to your immigrant spouse.

In fact, the amount of spousal support must be at least 125% of the levels established by the U.S. Poverty Guidelines. The obligation to pay support continues until the immigrant either:

  • becomes a U.S. citizen
  • earns 40 work quarters credited toward Social Security (about 10 years of work)
  • dies, or
  • permanently leaves the United States.

You might notice that divorce is not on the above list. That means you may have financial obligations to your ex-spouse even after the marriage ends. If you are planning a divorce, or if you or your spouse signed an Affidavit of Support, it is crucial that you contact The Marin Law Firm in Orlando as soon as possible to discuss your rights and options.

How We Can Help In Divorce And Immigration Matters

We provide a wide range of family law services to clients throughout Central Florida. In addition to divorce and family law cases, we handle matters of immigration. Often these areas of law overlap, and we handle them both to protect our clients’ rights and interests and to help them plan for the future.

Founding attorney Carmelina Marin and the rest of our staff speak fluent Spanish, and we offer an entirely Spanish section of our website.

Contact A Divorce And Immigration Lawyer At The Marin Law Firm, P.A.

If you would like to speak with an experienced divorce attorney who knows Florida family law and immigration law, call us in Orlando at 407-680-1867. You can also contact us by email to arrange a consultation.

Our usual office hours are 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM. However, arrangements can be made for weekend or evening appointments. We are located on the corner of Curry Ford Road and Semeron Boulevard and serve all of Orlando and the surrounding communities.

Contact The Marin Law Firm, P.A.

Contact our family law attorney online or call us at